The best nonstick skillet will have an interior coating that is both PTFE and PFOA free and the pan itself should be lead and cadmium free. Many skillets are made from aluminum, but some also have a stainless-steel core for better heat distribution and heat retention as you cook your food.
What’s the Best Nonstick Skillet? Top 10 Revealed
Many of us are familiar with older skillets that featured a nonstick coating that was later found to be hazardous to our health, but technology has improved, and now PFOA and PTFE free coatings are standard.
Many skillets are also certified to be free from lead and cadmium, and aluminum is frequently used along with stainless steel for the best heat retention and even heating possible when cooking. The benefit to these new pans is that many of them can be used on any type of range which makes them versatile.
Another essential feature of a new nonstick skillet is the thickness of the pan, and how comfortable it is to use. Many of the pans on this list feature contoured handles, and some will also stay cool to the touch while cooking.
How We Chose Our Ratings
The accuracy and honesty of our ratings is our top priority, so we scoured several sites to get feedback about nonstick skillets from actual users, reputable test kitchens, and professional chefs.Our ratings also include the reputation of the brand and the customer service provided to buyers of these skillets. Some of the testing performed on these skillets includes cooking a pancake and eggs without any fat, and regular everyday use over a prolonged period.
Top 10 Best Nonstick Skillet
When looking for the best nonstick skillet, it can be tempting to go with the cheapest option that happens to have the thickest base for the price. Although there are many suitable choices in skillets that come with economic price tags, they may not all be durable when compared to their slightly higher priced competitors.Our list of skillets features a range of prices and most are suitable for all kinds of stove tops. Some feature handles with rivets and others have slightly different pan shapes, but all of them have PFOA and PTFE free liners that are food safe.
Tramontina Aluminum Nonstick Pan
- NSF-Certified commercial-grade 3004 heavy-gauge aluminum
- High-performance reinforced PFOA-free nonstick, dishwasher-safe
- Works with gas, electric and ceramic glass, oven-safe (400 F / 204 C)
- Tramontina Item # 80114/536DS - UPC 16017041325
- MADE IN USA with imported components, Lifetime Warranty
The Tramontina Aluminum skillet comes in 8-inch, 10-inch, 12 inch, and 14-inch diameters and features an NSF certified 3004 aluminum base that is heavy gauge and commercial grade. The handle is secured with three rivets and coated with a silicone sleeve that can be removed for cleaning.
The nonstick coating is reinforced with multiple layers and is PFOA, lead and cadmium free. This pan can be put in a dishwasher and will work with gas, ceramic, and electric ranges. You can place this pan in the oven up to 400 degrees, and it’s made in the USA with some components imported.
The exterior of this pan has a satin finish and tapered edge for a more high-end look. This skillet retails for $39 and comes with a lifetime warranty. You can also purchase this skillet as part of a two-piece set.
4.7 out of 5 Stars
Scanpan Classic 9-1/2-Inch Fry Pan
- Nonstick cookware that browns, braises, sears and deglazes.
- Nonstick cookware that cooks with little or no oil. Safe, PFOA-free, and sustainable.
- Nonstick cookware that is dishwasher and metal-utensil safe.
- Oven-safe up to 500°F for stovetop to oven techniques
- Artisan-made in Denmark with a limited lifetime warranty.
The Scanpan Classic frying pan uses a patented interior coating that is nonstick and safe for contact with your food. It can be used on the stove top as well as the oven up to 500 degrees. The aluminum pan is cast to provide optimal heat retention and distribution to ensure that food cooks evenly across the whole pan.The interior coating is scratch resistant, which the company claims are ten times stronger than stainless steel. This pan is made in Denmark and is both PFOA-free and dishwasher safe. You can buy this pan online for $80, and it comes with a limited lifetime warranty.This pan is available in several sizes that range from 8 inches to 14.25 inches. You can also purchase a set of 8 pans, 11 pans, or 14 pans.
4.7 out of 5 Stars
Zwilling JA Henckels Madura Aluminum Fry Pan
- Manufactured in Italy
- Forged aluminum construction provides excellent heat retention and distribution
- PFOA-free, multilayer granite nonstick coating is 40 times more durable than traditional PTFE coatings
- Innovative plasma primer offers ultimate scratch and abrasion resistance
- Ergonomic, stay-cool handle is welded for durability - no rivets ensure easy cleaning
The Zwilling JA Henckels fry pan is made in Italy with a base of forged aluminum. The aluminum in this pan gives it even heat distribution across the pan, and it also helps it to retain heat better once it is hot.The handle is made to stay cool the whole time you are working with it, and the PFOA-free liner is made from multiple layers for a nonstick coating that is approximately 40 times more wear resistant than other PTFE coatings.This pan is also more resistant to scratches and abrasions while cooking and the rim is contoured for a dripless pour every time. You can use this on the stove top, and also in the oven up to 300 degrees. The JA Henckels Madura pan is dishwasher safe, and designed without rivets, so it’s easier to clean. This fry pan measures 10 inches in diameter and retails for $50 online.
4.6 out of 5 Stars
All-Clad Hard Anodized Nonstick Cookware Set
- 8 and 10-inch fry pans with wide flat base and versatile low-profile shape. "Lids not included "
- Hard-anodized aluminum construction for fast, even heating and easy cleanup; stainless-steel bonded Anti-Warp base; optimized for induction
- PFOA-free Scratch Resistant nonstick coating for healthier cooking with less fat; Heat source: induction, gas, electric, ceramic, halogen
- Stainless-steel handles contoured for a comfortable hold and permanently secured with stainless-steel rivets.Clean any cooking residue with a mixture of baking soda and water
- Oven safe to 500 degrees F (without lids); dishwasher-safe, handwash recommended; limited lifetime warranty
This aluminum cooking set by All-Clad offers two of their high-quality nonstick pans for a retail price of $60. The pan set comes in two sizes: 8 inch and 10 inches or 10 inch and 12 inches. Regardless of size, these pans feature a broad base that is flatter than other brands and a lower profile for easier cooking.The nonstick layer is PFOA-free, and this pan can be used on a variety of heat sources including induction ranges, gas, electric, halogen, and ceramic. The handle is made from stainless steel and is secured with two rivets that are also made from stainless steel. The handle is shaped to be comfortable to hold, and these pans are safe in the oven up to 500 degrees.This pan set is dishwasher safe, but to keep these pans in the best condition, it is recommended that you hand wash them whenever possible. This pan set also comes with a lifetime warranty that has a few limits.
4.6 out of 5 Stars
Cuisinart Hard Anodized 10-Inch Open Skillet
- Unsurpassed heat distribution - hard anodized aluminum core construction heats quickly and spreads heat evenly; eliminates hot spots
- Premium non-stick interior - reinforced nonstick cooking surface for healthier cooking, lasting food release and easy cleaning.
- Steady handling - maintain a solid grip with the always cool, always secure stick handles, professionally riveted and contoured to your hand for extra comfort
- Convenient Tempered Glass Covers - Sleek, flat glass lids with stainless rims seal in moisture and flavor; Glass is tempered for durability to ensure lasting performance
- Ultimate cooking versatility - use on the stovetop, in the oven, or under the broiler; oven safe up to 500-degree f and freezer safe for easy food storage; tapered rims keep pouring drip-free and easy
The Cuisinart Hard Anodized skillet retails for $38 and features an aluminum pan that is optimal for even heat distribution and retention. The handle is made from metal so it can be used in the oven or broiler, and is safe up to 500 degrees.The tapered rims are covered with nonstick coating all the way to the edge so you can pour things from this pan without drips and not have to worry about food sticking when this pan is hot. The nonstick surface is reinforced with multiple layers for added durability, and this pan also comes with a glass lid so you can see your food as it cooks.The handle on this pan is secured with two rivets and is shaped to be comfortable in hand. Even though the handle is metal, it’s designed to stay cool during the cooking process.
4.6 out of 5 Stars
All-Clad Stainless-Steel Tri-Ply Nonstick Fry Pan
- 14-Inch nonstick fry pan with wide flat base and versatile low-profile shape. Inside coating/finish: Polished
- 3-ply bonded construction consists of durable stainless steel encapsulating an aluminum core for even heating throughout
- All-Clad cookware's three layers of PFOA-free nonstick coating ensure effortless food release and make cleanup a breeze
- Contoured stainless-steel handles permanently secured with stainless-steel rivets; capacity etched on base
- Oven safe up to 500 degrees F; induction compatible; limited lifetime warranty; Made in USA
This 14-inch frying pan by All-Clad retails for $200 which makes it one of the pricier options on our list, but users and test kitchens swear the nonstick coating and cooking abilities of this pan are worth it. This skillet uses layers of bonded stainless steel and an aluminum core to create the most even heat throughout the pan.The interior coating is multiple layers of PFOA free nonstick material that allows for easy cooking, and fast cleanup. The handle on this pan is secured with two rivets and is contoured to be more comfortable in hand.This pan can be used in the oven up to 500 degrees and is suitable for use on an induction range. This skillet is also made in the USA and comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
4.5 out of 5 Stars
Farberware Classic Series 10-Inch Skillet
- QUICK HEATING FRYING PAN: The deep frying pan features strong construction that provides quick and even heating to help reduce hot spots that can burn foods
- NONSTICK SKILLET: The frying pan's long-lasting nonstick interior allows for easy food release and quick cleanup
- CLASSIC COOKWARE: Frying pan features polished exterior to add style and personality to the kitchen and compliments the rest of the Farberware collections
- STOVE TO OVEN SKILLET: This frying pan is oven safe to 350°F
- LIFETIME WARRANTY
This frying pan by Farberware is a classic design that many of us have had in our kitchens at some point or another. At $17 this frying pan is an economical choice and is made from aluminum for excellent heat distribution and retention.This pan features two rivets that firmly hold the handle in place, and the nonstick surface is designed to resist food sticking even at higher temperatures. This pan is safe to use in the oven up to 350 degrees, and it comes in three sizes:
- 8 inches
- 10 inches
- 12 inches
The handle on this pan is heat resistant and also has a handy loop so you can hang this pot anywhere in your kitchen. The downside to this pan is that users note that the rivets and edges of the pan that are not covered in the nonstick coating may be difficult to clean as food likes to stick to them.
4.4 out of 5 Stars
T-fal Professional Nonstick Fry Pan
- The unique T fal thermo spot heat indicator shows when the pan is perfectly preheated for cooking
- Prometal pro nonstick interior is exceptionally durable and scratch resistant, safe for use with metal utensil
- Stainless steel disc for even heat distribution and anti warp protection
- Dishwasher safe; Oven safe to 400 degrees f
- Safe for all cooking methods including induction
The T-fal professional skillet comes in three sizes: 8-inch, 10.25 inch, and 12.5 inches. As with other T-fal products, this pan has a heat indicator in the center to let you know when the pan is hot and ready for use.This pan also has a stainless-steel disc in the center that helps with distributing heat and preventing the pan from warping over time. The interior nonstick coating is very durable and features Prometal Pro lining that is scratch resistant and can withstand metal utensils.The T-fal skillet can be used with all cooking methods including induction stovetops and it’s oven safe to 400 degrees. This pan can also be put in the dishwasher, and it retails online for $26.
4.3 out of 5 Stars
Cuisinart Open Skillet
- PTFE/PFOA-free and petroleum-free Nano-ceramic technology offers easy food release without butter or oil for heathier cooking
- Heavy gauge aluminum core heats quickly and evenly. Scratch-resistant, protective exterior is highly durable
- Contoured stainless steel stick handles stay cool on the stovetop. Side grips ensure balanced cooking
- Oven safe up to 500 degrees F. Glass lids are oven safe to 350 digress F
- Lifetime Warranty
This nonstick skillet by Cuisinart features a white interior that is layered with a PTFE and PFOA free liner. This pan is also petroleum free and features a ceramic nonstick lining that keeps food from sticking and is also scratch resistant.Two rivets hold the contoured handle of this pan in place which can also be put in the oven up to 500 degrees. The glass lid allows you to see your food as it cooks and is also oven safe to 350 degrees. This pan has a heavy aluminum core that allows for even heat distribution and heat retention. The exterior is made to be extra durable and features rounded sides for an attractive finish. This pan retails for $37 online and comes with a lifetime warranty.
4 out of 5 Stars
GreenPan 10 Inch Ceramic Non-Stick Fry Pan
- GreenPan is the pioneer of healthy ceramic non-stick: safe cookware that doesn't contain any toxic chemicals or persistent pollutants and is easy to use.
- Thermolon ceramic non-stick is manufactured without PFAS, PFOA, lead, and cadmium. The coating won't blister, peel or release any harmful fumes, even if you accidently overheat your pan.
- Coated with our most advanced grade of Thermolon, this ceramic non-stick is reinforced with minerals and is metal utensil safe.
- The durable hard anodized exterior is designed for maximum strength and scratch resistance and has excellent heat conduction for even cooking results.
- The riveted stainless steel handles are contoured for a relaxed and comfortable grip.
The Green Pan features a ceramic nonstick coating that is free from any toxic chemicals or other pollutants that may make their way into your food. The coating is called Thermalon, and it is made without PFAS, PFOA, cadmium, or lead. The company guarantees that the coating on the pan won’t blister, release any fumes, or peel off with regular use.As a ceramic pan, you’ll want to make sure not to overheat this item as that can negatively affect the coating. The exterior of the pan is made from anodized metal which is hard, durable, and scratch resistant.The handle of this pan is made from stainless steel so it can also be used in an oven, and the overall metal construction of the pan makes it suitable for use on an induction stove top. The only drawback to this pan is that users report it lacks durability with consistent use and food ends up sticking to the pan after about a year.
3.4 out of 5 Stars
To find the best nonstick skillet you’ll want to look at a few key features that help the pan perform at its best and cook food without sticking for a prolonged period. Many nonstick skillets are less durable than we would like and with daily use, they can quickly wear out.Before purchasing a nonstick skillet consider the following features:
- What material makes up the skillet?
- Is the nonstick coating PTFE and PFOA free?
- Skillet size
- Compatible utensils for cooking
Many nonstick skillets are not compatible with metal utensils, and if you don’t have silicone or other approved cooking utensils, you may have to purchase some to use specifically with this kind of pan.The material that makes up the skillet is also crucial as it can make a significant impact on how the pan performs overall. Aluminum is the most popular material used, but on the best nonstick skillet, you may find that it has a stainless-steel core that has a layer of aluminum on either side.Pans that are made only from an aluminum can perform quite well and will often be lighter than the ones with a stainless-steel core, but many cooks swear the stainless-steel core makes a positive difference on the performance of the pan.The lining of the pan is also essential as you’ll want to select a pan that has a very thick interior coating that consists of multiple layers. Less expensive pans often have a thinner nonstick coating, and this can mean that the pan will wear out and be more likely to show scratches earlier on.All nonstick skillets now have specialized interior coatings that are no longer hazardous to our health and are free from pollutants that could enter our food. These PTFE and PFOA free coatings perform just as well or better than the unhealthy coatings from before and are arguably more durable.If you plan to use this kind of skillet frequently, you’ll want to consider spending a bit more on a pan that will have a thicker nonstick coating and a longer overall lifespan. Choose a skillet that is an appropriate size for your range and what you intend to use it for, but take note that it may be beneficial to purchase one of the two pan sets if you are unsure of the size you need.
There is a range of different prices for nonstick skillets, and some of the pricing is based on the quality of the item, and some of it is based on the brand. Brands like All-Clad will offer more expensive skillets, but that does not necessarily translate to quality as confirmed by user feedback.In general, you should try purchasing the best quality skillet that is in your price range and plan on using it with non-metal utensils even if the manufacturer says they are ok. Metal utensils can drastically shorten the life of your pan and may also cause scratches.Many of the pans on our list are also safe for oven use, but the temperature is dependent on the individual pans. More expensive pans aren’t always the most oven safe, and even the most costly pans may still need to be hand washed.
Nonstick skillets may look like other pans that you have in your kitchen, but unlike all metal pans, they are not usually designed for a lifetime of use. The interior coating of a nonstick skillet will begin to slowly wear down the more you cook on it, and the frequent heating to cook using the pan will also cause it to wear eventually.To help your pans last longer you should hand wash them and only use non-metal utensils. It’s strongly encouraged that you also follow all of the guidelines set by the manufacturer as well.