Microwavable heating pads offer a portable, wire-free path to relief from arthritis, aching backs, injuries, and more.
The right microwavable heating pad, hot/cold pad, or aromatherapy wrap can ease you into a state of blissful relaxation and targeted pain relief.
Which microwavable heating pads make the cut in 2019?
Check out our top 10 list for the latest in:
Read on to discover the best heat pads to incorporate into your pain management routine.
Bed Buddy Hot & Cold Body Wrap by Carex
- Contains (1) Carex Bed Buddy Heat Wrap / Cold Wrap. A microwave heating pad that provides moist heat. A flexible neck heating pad with a form-fitting design and a fabric cover. Filled with 100% organic material for neck pain & back pain relief.
- The wrap is a heating pad for neck and shoulders as well as a cold pack for relieving aches and pains in muscles and joints. Wrap is a moist heating pad as recommended by doctors, a natural alternative or complement to OTC drugs.
- The flexible form-fitting hot cold pack easily conforms to the shape of your body even when cold. Wrap the reusable wrap around sore joints or muscles for targeted therapeutic effect with the warming or cooling relief similar to electric heating pads.
- Filled with 100% natural grains herbs & flowers, the hod pad / cold pad conforms to your body for targeted relief of neck pain, shoulder pain, knee pain, or back pain. Use the wrap for pain relief, neck warmer, or for a neck ice pack.
- Bed Buddy, by Carex, has been a leading manufacturer of heating pads for back pain and microwavable heating pads. Trust Bed Buddy as a partner to assist you with neck pain relief or simply therapeutic relief from muscle pain.
The Bed Buddy hot/cold body wrap by Carex offers a natural alternative to over the counter and prescription pain remedies or acts as a compliment to these treatments if you would prefer to incorporate the Bed Buddy alongside your medication routine for additional relief.
Like other hot/cold pads, Bed Buddy can address a wide array of aches including back pain, neck pain, headaches, and hot flashes.
What makes the Bed Buddy unique is its form-fitting shape, and ability to retain that shape even when used a cold pad—a function often lost in hot/cold pads that aren't expertly manufactured.
The Bed Buddy utilizes moist heat for pain relief, most recommended by doctors for pain management.
To really contour the Bed Buddy by Carex to any aching part of the body, its equipped with a velcro strap.
Since the cushion design is extremely form fitting, the strap acts as an additional convenience.
In our experience, it certainly comes in handy when in need of additional support.
Microwaveable Corn Filled Hot/Cold Pack By Caylee's Creations
- Specially made for Therapeutic Use - Hot or Cold! Perfect for muscle aches, cramps, headaches, arthritis, pains, sports injuries, warming up the bed covers at night, or letting the kids snuggle with one as they fall asleep!
- THE ORIGINAL Caylee's Creations Corn Bags are handcrafted in the USA with triple-stitched seams for durability.
- Amazing designs with removable, machine washable 100% cotton outer cover.
- Made ONLY with cleaned whole corn grains because they hold heat longer than ANY OTHER grain we tested, and are mold and mildew resistant. No added scents.
- Engineered with almost 3lbs of dried corn to balance maximum heat or cold with a weight comfortable enough for children. MORE corn volume provides GREATER heating and cooling times! You would have to buy two or more of some competitor's products to equal the same amount of corn volume that THE ORIGINAL Caylee's Creations corn bags provide!
Another hot/cold pack capable of relieving various forms of pain, the microwavable corn filled pack from Caylee's Creations is among the most durable hot/cold packs that we've seen.
When it comes to hot/cold packs, durability is a primary concern because many products begin to lose their effectiveness after numerous cycles of freezing, followed by placement in hot microwaves.
A hot/cold pack may lose shape, begin to wear, or develop cracks and tears in its fabric that render it unusable.
That's why the construction and filament of the right hot/cold pack must stand to freezing and warming over time, and we've found Caylee's Creations has perfected the microwavable corn filled pack to hold up to extensive use without concern for compromising the durability of the product.
In addition to holding up to wear and tear, Caylee's Creations microwavable corn kernel pack is constructed with a 100 percent cotton outer shell, making the product mold and mildew resistant.
We love the corn kernel pack from Caylee's Creations for its substantial, mid-range weight.
As the product is filled with dried kernel corn, it easily absorbs both moisture from heat and the cooling properties of ice when chilled to bring you the most effective pain relief possible.
As an additional advantage of its corn kernel filling, the product maintains optimal weight to soothe muscle tension and lay flat on aching necks, backs, and stomachs.
This hot/cold pack is also great for kids, due to its outstanding durability, as well as its weight and size.
Overall, the hot/cold kernel pack by Caylee's Creations retains both heat and icy cold temps for an impressive duration, given its mid-range weight and compact size.
My Heating Pad Multi-Purpose Lavender Wrap
- Classic and Easy To Use Microwave Heating Pad for Aches and Pains, Cramps and Sore Muscles - with Lavender Aromatherapy benefits!
- Handle on each end for Comfortable Grip while applying over Neck and Shoulders, Back, Stomach, Knees, and more... Lavender is Perfect for relief of Headaches, Migraines, Insomnia, and Relaxation
- Works great for Hot, Herbal and Moist Heat Therapy because Rice & Flax Seed are excellent Natural ingredients for Holding Heat and Warmth - Lavender scent may be strong on initial uses 💜
- High Quality Made in USA 🇺🇲, Has a nice WEIGHT of 2.5 pounds for gentle pressure of weighted heat therapy, DIMENSIONS: 26.5 x 4.5 x 1 inches. Soft fleece on one side, cotton on the other.
- PERFECT GIFT 🎁 idea for Birthdays 🎉 , Holidays, Christmas, and more! SATISFACTION GUARANTEE 😀 - If you're not satisfied please reach out to us so we can make things right 👍
For those in search of pain relief in conjunction with aromatherapy, My Heating Pad lavender wrap offers the ideal balance.
Equipped with tension handles at either hand, the multi-purpose lavender wrap utilizes the power of thermotherapy (heat) to treat a range of chronic conditions and ailments including arthritis, sore muscles, and also functions as a highly effective stress reliever.
My Heating Pad lavender wrap is filled with rice and lavender flowers, for an authentic aromatherapy experience.
Its outer shell is constructed from both fleece and cotton, making it a breathable wrap that provides warmth, as well as comfort.
A further advantage of this multi-purpose lavender heat wrap is its quick heating time, typically warming in the microwave in as little as 90 seconds.
While My Heating Pad is a multi-purpose wrap that can relieve numerous aches ranging from cramps to tension headaches, we recommend it as an ideal treatment method for those struggling with insomnia along with nighttime aches and pains.
Aromatherapy, along with heat, provides a relaxing experience that may be used alone or conjunction with over the counter sleep medications for a pain-free, restorative night's sleep.
My Heating Pad Neck & Shoulder Wrap
- Ideal Neck and Shoulder Heating Pad for Pain Relief and Comfort - Designed to Stay in Place and provide Extra Warmth and Coverage
- Microwave Heat Therapy that is Easy to Use for soothing Cramps and Sore Muscles, or simply Cozy Up on a cold chilly night 🌙 🌨️😀 ...
- Has a nice weight to it - approx. 3 pounds to provide gentle pressure and Weighted Heat Therapy of upper back, neck and shoulders.
- High Quality Made in USA 🇺🇲, SPECIAL FEATURE: Super soft fleece on one side for cozy warmth, and cotton on the other for extra heat, DIMENSIONS: 19 x 12 x 1.0 inches. FILLING INGREDIENTS: Flax seed and Rice.
- PERFECT GIFT 🎁 idea for Christmas, Holidays, Birthdays 🎉 , and more! SATISFACTION GUARANTEE 😀 - If you're not satisfied please reach out to us so we can make things right 👍
My Heating Pad makes our list once again with the ergonomically designed neck and shoulder wrap.
Much like My Heating Pad's multi-purpose lavender wrap, this heat wrap is designed with durable, moderately weighted construction to deliver pain relief to the body's most affected areas, and sustain heat to aching and sore muscles.
The neck and shoulder wrap is intended to deliver pain relief to the neck, traps, and upper back with an expertly constructed seven chamber design.
My Heating Pad is was developed by a chiropractor to relieve pain from arthritis, tendonitis, fatigued muscles, and other pain in the neck and shoulder area.
For maximum comfort, My Heating Pad's outer shell is constructed with breathable cotton on one side and fleece on the other.
Like My Heating Pad's multi-purpose lavender wrap, we recommend the neck and shoulder wrap to incorporate into your pain management bedtime routine, as its breathable and warm fabric rank it among the most comfortable options to sleep with that we've encountered.
Nature's Approach Aromatherapy Basic Herb Pack
- Hot/Cold Relief with Aromatherapy - Microwave or Freeze
- Made with ALL NATURAL Organic Materials, 100% safe for People, Pets and the Environment
- A soothing aromatic blend of nature's finest herbs for easing aches and pains
- Prevent moisture loss of the skin, improving hydration of the skin cells
- VERSATILE PAIN RELIEF: Comfort from muscle spasms and tension; 12" x 6"
Nature's Approach makes it onto our list at number three with the versatile hot/cold aromatherapy pack, to offer spa level aromatherapy from the comfort of your home.
We love this multi-function wrap both for its aromatherapy and hot/cold capability.
Nature's Approach spa relief pack is filled with many medicinal herbs including lavender, lemongrass, and mint.
Its medicinal herb blend invigorates, relieves tension, promotes restful sleep, and can relieve pain—depending on whether the product is used as a heating device or chilled, for cooling relief.
To use the wrap for relief from abdominal pain and aching muscles, quick heating in the microwave provides long lasting pain relief in conjunction with the aromatherapy benefits of rosemary and lavender.
To treat swelling and bruising from injuries, just freeze the wrap for cooling relief along with the benefits of Lemongrass and other refreshing herbs.
This wrap is available in a wide variety of design and color options, making it an attractive option for use at home, or as a professional spa wrap.
Overall, we find Nature's Approach aromatherapy wrap effective at relieving muscle pain, tension, and especially effective at relieving headaches.
Home Comforts Microwavable Heating Pad
- Size: 9" x 8"
- Rice Filled Microwavable Heating Pad, great for a cold night!
- Helps with: migraine headaches, stress, menstrual pain, arthritis, traveling, muscle injuries, etc.
- Heat in microwave, Cool in freezer, Moist heat
Featuring a soft to the touch, flannel pillowcase-like construction, Home Comforts microwavable heating pad is an excellent product to sooth nighttime aches and pains.
It's also an ideal choice to help those with bedtime aches and pains achieve a restorative night's sleep.
The product also features a relatively compact size that's ideal for heating in the microwave and can accommodate both small and large muscles and areas of the body comfortably.
We prefer the Home Comforts pad for its impressive ability to retain heat, perfect for providing warmth throughout the night.
We recommended it as a heating pad for bedtime use, but its cozy flannel shell provides excellent pain relief at any time of day.
Thermalon Moist Heat Pad
- Designed to deliver a moist heat treatment
- Treats shoulders, lower back, and abdomen
- Just microwave and apply
- Non-toxic and odor free
Thermalon's moist heat pad utilizes the power of moist heat to provide relief from pains associated with arthritis, stress, sore muscles, and even cramps, while also functioning as a cold pack when chilled to reduce swelling and inflammation.
We love the quilted, durable construction of Thermalon's moist heat pad and cold pack.
Perhaps most impressively, Thermalon's hot/cold pack performs both functions with equally effective results.
The product retains moist heat to relieve aches and pains when microwaved as well as retains its cooling properties to reduce swelling and inflammation when chilled.
Thermalon's hot/cold pack is sufficiently weighted to rest comfortably on the back, abdomen, neck, or shoulders.
It won't budge or slide out of place, likely the work of its form-fitting quilted design.
Thermalon's moist heat pack is free of toxins, odors, and irritating chemicals, making this heat pad an ideal choice for those prone to allergic reactions and sensitivities.
The Thermalon moist heat pack is machine washable, an outstanding feature for a hot/cold pack.
We recommend Thermalon's hot/cold pack for daily use, as it heats quickly and can be used comfortably to relieve pain throughout the day.
Sunny Bay Lower Back and Shoulder Wrap
- unbeatable Large size: The amazing, Large heating area is unmatched by any portable heating wraps. The heating area measures 18 inches wide and 10 inches tall. It provides heat therapy to the entire back for most people.
- Must have heat therapy: if you're suffering from arthritis, knee pain, back pain, shoulder joint pain, tendonitis, neuropathy, sciatica, bursitis, fibromyalgia, neck pain, carpal tunnel syndrome, hip pain, tennis elbow, Golf elbow, shoulder pain, shin splints, chronic pain, etc. You must try this product! The long-lasting heat works well to relieve your pain.
- microwavable, portable, reusable & cordless: the back heating pack has extra-long straps: total 60 inches long, enough for a Large person to tie the wrap around the body. It stays on the shoulder or around your waist when you move around. It weighs only 2.5 lb. Most people will not feel the weight when doing light house work.
- effective, easy to use & comfortable: with the tie-on straps, it is convenient to apply heat therapy to treat your strain or cramps. Use it while doing house work, sitting down watching TV or even resting in bed. For rotator cuff injury, this heat wrap can cover the shoulder as well as the chest muscles and shoulder blade. It conforms to the body shape very well.
- sectioned chambers & long-lasting heat: the thermal heating pad is filled with all natural flax seeds. The heat can last for half an hour. Constructed with multiple chambers, and hand-filled to the perfect fullness, the filling doesn't shift to one end When standing up. It ensures the heating of all the areas around the injured tissue and increase the blood circulation.
The Sunny Bay lower back and shoulder wrap is ideal for providing evenly distributed heat to the lower back and rests comfortably around the body for maximum relief.
This wrap won't shift or lose shape, providing pain relief to the most acutely affected areas of the lower lumbar region with its flax seed filled, multi-chamber design.
In addition to lower back pain relief, the Sunny Bay wrap can be worn around the knee, waist, and shoulder.
The versatility of this product allows for relief from pains associated with arthritis, fibromyalgia, sciatica, carpal tunnel syndrome, and even Tennis Elbow.
This wrap features a wide surface area that can accommodate large muscles comfortable and efficiently, and is completely portable for wear in or out of the house.
When used as a cold pad, the wrap can reduce swelling from sore, aching backs, as well as reduce swelling associated with injuries.
The Sunny Bay lower back wrap retains heat for about thirty minutes, perfect for relaxing in front of the television while delivering targeted pain relief to aching lower back muscles.
Sacksy Thyme Microwavable Aromatherapy Pad
- Our All Natural Aromatherapy sacks combine the benefits of hot and cold therapy for areas you need it most.
- Sacksy Thyme sacks retain heat longer than corn or rice sacks and are made with only the finest ingredients grown and manufactured here in the USA!
- Exclusive Blend of Highest Quality Certified Organic Herbs, Flaxseed, Cherry Pits and highest quality craftsmanship.
- The calming herbal aroma of lavender, cherry, eucalyptus, lemon verbena promotes relaxation while releasing tension and stress.
- Available in several other colors and herbs!! Perfect for anyone who wants an all natural remedy for stiff muscles and tension.
The Sacksy Thyme microwavable aromatherapy pad comes in at number nine on our list as a certified organic, flax seed and cherry pit filled hot/cold pad with a cotton outer shell.
Due to its unique construction, this product is able to deliver longer lasting heat relief over rice and other materials.
The wrap works in conjunction with the power of aromatherapy from eucalyptus, lavender, and lemon verbena to bring you stress relief, soothe aching muscles, and even relieve headaches and fatigue.
We love the Sacksy Thyme wrap for its compact yet durable design that rests comfortably on aching necks, backs, or stomachs.
The wrap heats quickly in the microwave and provides about 2 hours of pain relief.
We recommend the Sacksy Thyme wrap for evening or bedtime pain relief, sufficient to soothe pre-bedtime aches and pains while relieving daily stressors with the power of lavender and other medicinal herbs.
Nature Creation Neck and Shoulder Aromatherapy Pad
- JUST RIGHT, EASY TO USE RELIEF for you Neck and Shoulders because it heats quickly in the microwave, provides perfect soothing heat that holds well, and filled with calming aroma benefits from the fresh and natural herbs.
- WHAT IS IT GOOD FOR? If you suffer from frequent achy muscles and joints, tight neck, tense shoulders, chronic back pain, cramps, arthritis, recovering from a surgery/injury, headaches, have a tendency to be cold, or simply want to keep warm and relaxed - this is absolutely recommended for you!
- SPECIAL FEATURES: A) 3 Functions: Hot & Cold Therapy, plus Aromatherapy for everyday use B) Just the right weight for deep therapy C) Flaps on sides for comfort and to keep steady on shoulders D) Channels to evenly distribute filling ingredients E) Natural - so you don't have to feel damp and oily from pain relief creams and ointments that leave a mess
- MADE TO LAST HIGH QUALITY - Made in USA, durable, fine cotton, attention to detail, and 20 years of experience results in a shoulder wrap that is effective.
- FABULOUS GIFT 🎁 - share as a great gift that everyone will love! - Adults, elderly, teens, and children... The whole family loves them! SATISFACTION GUARANTEED 😀 - because when our customers are happy, we are happy - so if you're not satisfied, reach out to us so we can make things right 👍
Wrapping up our top 10 list is the Nature Creation neck and shoulder aromatherapy pad.
This hot/cold, aromatherapy wrap combines the healing power of peppermint, lemongrass, and chamomile with soothing heat or cold to relax muscles and relieve inflammation.
We prefer the Nature Creation neck and shoulder wrap for the most immediate relief of neck and shoulder pain, its ergonomic design targets upper back and neck muscles with a multi-chamber configuration that delivers consistent heat and cooling relief.
The wrap also provides an excellent way to stay toasty warm on winter nights, and cool down during those hot days by the pool.
While it effectively covers a wide surface area, this product is microwaved quickly and easily.
We recommend the Nature Creation aromatherapy neck and shoulder wrap for use at any time of day, but especially as a daytime hot or cold pack for daytime relief of neck and shoulder pains.
Buyers Guide: The Ideal Microwavable Heating Pad
The right heating (or hot/cold) aromatherapy pad can provide relief from pain associated with arthritis, aching muscles, injuries, and more.
To achieve the most effective relief from your heat pad, it's important to know exactly which features to be on the lookout for during your selection process.
Now that we've covered the best microwavable heating pads available let's discuss the criteria that went into our top picks for the best hot/cold and aromatherapy pads for 2019.
Design (Filling and Construction)
Any heat pad worth purchasing must be well constructed, and ideally, feature an ergonomic design that rests effortlessly on your muscles without shifting or sliding out of place.
The best microwaveable heating pads are filled with natural materials such as rice, corn, and cherry pits.
Some of the most effective heat packs may also be filled with non-toxic alternatives to these ingredients that won't emit odors or trigger allergic reactions.
In order to retain pain relieving heat, care must be taken to use only these high-quality materials.
Just as important as the internal filament of the ideal heating pad, is its outer construction.
The most effective hot/cold pads are made from cotton, fleece, and flannel.
The outer shell of the ideal hot/cold pad should be soft to the touch and breathable.
It should also provide warmth, and be comfortable to sleep with to provide relief from bedtime aches and pains.
Aromatherapy (A Personal Preference)
Generally speaking, the organic herbs used in aromatherapy heat wraps provide significant relief for a number of ailments, to a wide range of individuals.
Aromatherapy has demonstrated effective relief from pain when used in conjunction with heat and cooling properties, stress reduction, as well as efficacy at addressing sleep disturbances and insomnia.
While aromatherapy heat pads and cold wraps may also provide relief from fatigue, headaches, and a number of common ailments, aromatherapy may not be suitable for individuals with allergies, migraine headaches, and other sensitivities.
Although less common, the medicinal herbs used in aromatherapy wraps may also trigger allergic reactions, worsening of migraine headaches, and aggravation of other sensitivities in susceptible individuals.
If you suffer from migraine headaches, allergies, or other sensitivities, you may want to avoid aromatherapy packs in favor of nontoxic and allergen-free alternatives (such as Thermalon's moist heat pack).
Speaking of Moist Heat
Heating pad devices generally utilize either moist or dry heat to deliver targeted pain relief to aching backs, necks, and sore muscles.
From various patient reports, and at the recommendation of doctors, moist heat demonstrates more effective pain relief over dry heat, especially in treating conditions like arthritis, muscle spasms, and chronic pain.
When it comes to heating pads, most microwavable wraps use the power of moist heat, while electric and infrared devices rely on dry heat to relieve sore and aching muscles.
Research suggests that moist heat improves blood circulation, delivers pain relief to muscle tissues more quickly, and elicits more response from muscle tissues when relieving pain than dry heat devices at the same temperatures.
Size and Heat Retention
Size and heat retention work together to provide targeted, long-lasting pain relief to commonly sore muscles.
Ideally, a compact heating pad that can be easily microwaved is the best option for relief of neck, back, abdominal, and shoulder pain.
A well constructed, ergonomically designed heat pad with quality filament will retain heat for up to two hours, generally enough time to dull nighttime aches or for use in front of the television to manage aching lower backs.
Look for multi-chamber heat pads that conduct heat to exactly where it needs to go, directly to your pain areas, like My Heating Pad (designed by a chiropractor).
Following these guidelines will maximize the benefits of your heating pad, and set you on your way to effective pain relief—without cords and wires.
Featured image via Amazon